Welcome to Family News
Thank you for showing your support for helping disadvantaged Australian children to create better futures.
Disadvantage in Australia can be hard to spot. It is often located in pockets of communities that may be very far from where you live. You could quite easily go through life thinking that Australia is the lucky country, for everyone. But that is not the case.
Over a number of months our e-newsletter, Family News, will follow the lives of two Learning for Life students, Crystal and Bailey, and their families to share with you what it really means to live in disadvantage in Australia. You'll hear their challenges and triumphs firsthand, and see the tangible impacts of The Smith Family's work.
Like most parents and carers, these families want nothing more than for their children to have the best chance at life and a good future. Here are their stories.
Volume 1: July 2012
- How Crystal's family came to need help
- Getting to know Crystal and her grandma
- How The Smith Family supporters help Crystal's family
- How Bailey's family came to need help
- Getting to know Bailey
- How The Smith Family supporters help Bailey's family
Did you know?
Volume 2: September 2012
Did you know?
Volume 3: November 2012
- Work experience changes Crystal's career aspirations
- Exam encouragement from supporters boosts Crystal's spirits
- Bailey sets high goals in the lead up to high school
- Bailey needs orthodontic braces to avoid surgery
Volume 4: January 2013
Volume 5: April 2013
- Crystal embraces the challenge of TAFE and Year 11 thanks to Learning for Life support
- Crystal's commitment to her schooling tested as classes return
- A more confident Bailey explores opportunities in and outside of school
- Wrap around Learning for Life support creating positive outcomes for Bailey
Share in Crystal and Bailey's triumphs and challenges
As a subscriber to our e-newsletter, Family News, you'll receive a new edition every two months that follows Crystal and Bailey's lives for 12 months from July 2012.
Subscribe to Family News